about vikkitwitter etc.Liste de tâchesblog archives


Sunday 12 February 2012
HEEBIE JEEBIES. .(scribbled at 21:01 )



Okay, so here’s to blog entry number 4 (if you can call last month's upload of muffins an "entry", hmmm.)
Anywho, for the first time in ages, I caught a train up to Liverpool to indulge in a long weekend of dancing in Heebie Jeebies, scouring Mello Mello and Leaf for its latest offer of exquisite green tea and checking out an art exhibition or two.

I'd been meaning to check out the Gina Czarnecki exhibition at The Bluecoat for a while too, and as it was in its final week at the time, I'd have rather saw it in Liverpool before her retrospective appears elsewhere (following its time in Liverpool, it will then go on to travel to the Imperial College, the Science Museum and then The Herbert Museum & Art Gallery)

I think my SLR is on its last legs.
Image accredited to The Bluecoat, Liverpool.




This is Palaces, my favourite piece from the exhibition. Part of her 2009-11 series entitled Wasted; here Czarnecki has created a beautifully delicate resin sculpture which is adorned by the milk teeth of children. It really does illuminate this ground floor gallery space, so much so that I begin to notice passers-by gawping through the window at the room in front of me: 

 I find this piece so fascinating, more so than any of the other works. I also sourced out where all these teeth had come from. Most had been donated by young children residing in Liverpool, but quite a significant proportion had been donated from overseas too. She really manages to evoke these thoughts to the viewer about just how accustomed we are to seeing human tissue within art. I suppose we never really think about the correlation between bodily tissue and museums and how essentially the body parts we view in these environments have been discarded by the donor, possibly even forgotten about. 


www.thebluecoat.org
www.ginaczarnecki.com

P.S... and after a very hard night drinking my weight in vodka, my BFF Hamish and I spent a chilly Sunday afternoon wandering through Sefton Park and its thousand Canadian Geese. 





Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,


about
diaristic ramblings about architecture, design, art, baking and shoes.

...all posts penned by Vikki, a twenty-something girl based in London (but currently having itchy feet and wanting to move back to Neuilly).

all these poorly taken photographs are indeed my own.


Vermeer's Victoria Sponge.