about vikkitwitter etc.Liste de tâchesblog archives


Wednesday 29 February 2012
Katrantzou obsession has now officially taken over .(scribbled at 19:23 )


After her success at this year’s London Fashion Week, I think it’s more than evident that Mary Katrantzou’s designs are going to be dancing spectaculary in front of our eyes come Summer 2012. Screw the Olympics, 2012 is the year for eclectic mouth-watering prints.

If  (like me) you can’t afford to splurge on an eye watering £350 on one of her dresses from her Topshop collaborations, then the rest of the high street has also fell in love with Katrantzou too. Take this from Zara for example:

Image courtesy of Zara.com
What a beauty! Although it looks best teamed with those shorts, I’d wear it with my trusty leather-look black jeans.

The thing I like about her pieces is that, it needs minimal effort from everywhere else in terms of styling. On the S/S 2012 catwalk, her models had pared down makeup and scraped back hair which works really well; the last thing you need when you’re wearing a eclectic set of prints is to add unnecessary fuss with by looking too ‘done.’

Falling rapidly into my ‘girl crush’ category of people (which currently stands at Nigella Lawson and Katy Perry), it’s impossible to not like Katrantzou. Her beaming smile and buzzing personality make this 29 year old Athens-born designer vivacious. The attention given to the texture and shapes of her dresses… well it’s no wonder she originally wanted to be an architect! It’s refreshing to see a clashing of prints, rather than colour dominating the catwalk this season. Likewise, it feels good to have a designer who knows the female form, and who works hard to accentuate curves whilst still retaining that element of quirkiness to the clothing’s structure.

Image courtesy of GraziaDaily.co.uk
I’ve currently got a photograph of this pinned into my scrapbook; her epic typewriter dress which launched on LFW on Feb 21st. I love the homage to the classic Olivetti design, especially the way it flows through the entire dress, both in terms of structure and by the keyboard motif that hangs on the
waist.


I find it hard to believe that her flat in Victoria is pared down and minimalist, and I’m still in awe that someone who has such an eye for detailed patterns wears so much black when you see her in magazine interviews (!)

If I wasn’t moving house next month, I would have considered splurging my current pay cheque on this:

 © TOPSHOP

Labels: , , , , , ,


about
diaristic ramblings about architecture, design, art, baking and shoes.

...all posts penned by Vikki, a twenty-something girl based in London (but currently having itchy feet and wanting to move back to Neuilly).

all these poorly taken photographs are indeed my own.


Vermeer's Victoria Sponge.