about vikkitwitter etc.Liste de tâchesblog archives


Sunday 4 March 2012
The only four legged friend that will ever make it into my life: A Chair .(scribbled at 22:47 )


It’s annoying how the weather can dictate your day.  I’d originally imagined my Sunday to be spent lazing around in Hyde Park outside the Serpentine for the duration of the afternoon, but being good ole’ British Weather, it pissed it down. 

Instead of wallowing in sloth-like characteristics, I caught the bus to the Design Museum for a bit of chair-on-chair action. 

Before they announce who’s won Design of the Year 2012, I’d been itching to go there to check out what they’d put into this year’s line-up, as well as mooching through their current Terence Conran: The Way We Live Now exhibition.

The exhibition (obviously) tells us about the origins of Habitat and Conran’s design influences at the beginning of his career. Being ever so slightly bias towards chair design, I knew very little about ‘The Soup Kitchen’, Conran’s first ever restaurant (their menus were designed by David Hockney!) nor did I know much about his manifesto, which it gives us gems such as:

‘We believe that better designed products catch the eye better and improve the balance sheets’

And

‘We believe that effective design improves efficiency and thus saves money’.

This possibly explains why M&S were a perfect match for the sponsorship of this exhibition. Like Conran et al, they really are flying the Habitat-inspired flag of design for Britain.

Right, so design of the year nominees?
My favourites from each section are the following:

Image courtesy of Lewis Jones
 Architecture: Folly for a Flyover
I actually love this. Commissioned by CREATE festival and produced by Assemble with support from Muf Architects, this renovated space underneath the A12 will function as a space for concerts, events and boat rides for a mere 6 weeks.

Fashion: Mary Katrantzou (big shock, no?)
Rather than falling into the realms of repetition, let’s just say I’m quite big on Katrantzou’s designs.

Digital: BBC Homepage
Sleek, modern and easy to navigate, ensuring that one of the UK’s most popular sites retains its user-friendliness.


Image: Jonas Ingerstedt

Product: Hövding Invisible Cycle Helmet
Personally, I’m all for the Automated External Defibrillator that’s been shortlisted. But I reckon the invisible helmet could really take off. Not with me though, if I’m ever going to be caught in an accident on a London road, I’d rather it didn’t look like the Michelin man had given birth on my face in the process.





Transport: Muramato Bike Hanger
Boris Bikers, eat yer heart out! This speaks for itself really, rather than have masses of bikes chained and crammed onto one stationary pole in the street, with this, you just put your trusty wheels onto a ferris wheel. Don’t know why it hasn’t been though of before.


Bourollec Installation in Raphael Room at the V&A
If someone were to buy me this, I would marry them.

Furniture:  anything from Bouroullec
Okay, so I couldn’t make up my mind! But both of these are equally worthy are the crown of glory. I’m in love with the Osso chair (why aren’t they retailing this in the UK yet?!) and am equally lusting for the textile field they created in the V&A to be re-installed.


My overall favourite is leaning towards the Osso chair, with its sleek and organic design, we not only experience a homage to the great Aalto, but also a nod to flatpack that even Ingvar Kamprad himself would have lusted for!


www.designsoftheyear.com
www.designmuseum.org

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


about
diaristic ramblings about architecture, design, art, baking and shoes.

...all posts penned by Vikki, a twenty-something girl based in London (but currently having itchy feet and wanting to move back to Neuilly).

all these poorly taken photographs are indeed my own.


Vermeer's Victoria Sponge.