about vikkitwitter etc.Liste de tâchesblog archives


Wednesday 14 March 2012
Sprouting flowers, pumpkins and sperm-like forms. .(scribbled at 19:36 )


Today I had the pleasure of walking across Millennium Bridge… alone.

It was a really weird experience, but I didn’t hang around looking along the Thames for too long, as I was at an Early Morning View at Tate Modern incredibly early. I managed to get a chance to look at both the Yayoi Kusama and Alighiero Boetti exhibitions for the first time, which was really exciting.

I’m not exactly sure what my opinion is on the drawings Kusama produced, but I do love her Accumulation Sculptures series. I mean, how avant garde are her Macaroni Pants, especially considering they were c. 1968!

I love how the exhibition suddenly began to feel quite sartorial based. Kusama explains that "The history of my costume dates back to my teens," … "Whenever I wore unusual and wild clothes, [people] either ostracised me or spoke ill of me." But I really do like this quirky little number! They immediately evoked Louis Vuitton SS2012 Catwalk, I mean there are definitely some Kusama elements throughout the underpinning of the show, there’s so much focus on embellished clothing, and organic-looking shapes:

 
Oh wait, I've just realised that Louis Vuitton are the official sponsor for this exhibition. That would explain a lot.


Her 1992 Flame Painting reminds me of the later paintings of Atsuko Tanaka, another pioneering artist who practiced during the same period. I haven’t took a photograph of her paintings, but the arrangement of her Electric Dress piece evokes Kusama’s Infinity Mirrored Room: Love Forever (1996)

Also, had to drop by the Learning studio/Obliteration Room on the ground floor to see how this was coming along. I might have contributed a sticker or two! 


Siver Dress, 1966
© MUMOK

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


about
diaristic ramblings about architecture, design, art, baking and shoes.

...all posts penned by Vikki, a twenty-something girl based in London (but currently having itchy feet and wanting to move back to Neuilly).

all these poorly taken photographs are indeed my own.


Vermeer's Victoria Sponge.