about vikkitwitter etc.Liste de tâchesblog archives


Thursday 22 March 2012
ART (plus) DECO .(scribbled at 13:06 )

With F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel The Great Gatsby premièring this Autumn, Art Deco fever has already sprung a little prematurely.

Gucci SS2012
I love how films and television programmes inadvertently determine what fashion choices we make. Mad Men has (re)given us Peplums, fitted shift dresses and a whole array of pastel tones to our wardrobes. Twilight has appeared to create a whole new wave of wannabe adolescent vampires. Not that I'm complaining or anything, I find it interesting really, but as I haven't actually watched either of these two... my wardrobe is lacking that shot of lemon-tinted blouses worthy of Betty Francis.

©TOPSHOP
However, I will be seeing the Gatsby adaptation later this year. Hence, GATSBY FEVER. I am totally feeling the raring twenties and all its ephemera. My love for René Lalique glass vases has increased tenfold, and I'm suddenly lusting for embellished waists and ephemeral motifs. Gucci were first on board with this trend which is going to be huge this year, here's what they had to offer us during their SS2012 Campaign


(& if that is slightly (or heavily) out of your budget, then Rare at Topshop are retailing a similar dress at £60!)
If you happen to have a spare £6120...


© French Connection
© Mulbery Hall
Feather hair piece: Topshop
Personally, I think the high street brand that's leading this trend is French Connection. Albeit a little pricey (the dress above is £160), their collection is unique and extremely well thought out to the minute detail, and what I really like about this dress is that it's totally wearable, you could probably get away with wearing it continually every winter until you're practically supergluing those sequins back on to get your wear out of it. I was lucky enough to attend this year's  Swarovski Art Plus Opera Party at the Whitechapel Gallery last Thursday, which was spectacular. Being 1920s themed, there was so much glitz flowing through the gallery spaces that I've already decided on how to wear the Gatsby look this Autumn.

Want to start working this trend early? With Summer on the horizon, it's going to be a little tricky to work the fur coats and flapper dresses, so get into the accessories instead. I bought these from Topshop last time I went to Liverpool- that store is the best one I've came across for the huge sales it has. The mark down on shoes is actually phenomenal too.

I've also just started re-reading my battered copy of The Great Gatsby for the first time since studying it since my A Levels. It's nice to rekindle the hatred for Daisy Buchanan...

I bought this from Henry Bohn Books
by Lime Street Station 2 years ago- it's a
bargain for old books!

www.gucci.com
www.whitechapelgallery.org

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,


about
diaristic ramblings about architecture, design, art, baking and shoes.

...all posts penned by Vikki, a twenty-something girl based in London (but currently having itchy feet and wanting to move back to Neuilly).

all these poorly taken photographs are indeed my own.


Vermeer's Victoria Sponge.